Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sick Chicken

I have my first sick chicken. I noticed she wasn't herself last night when I went to lock them up. She was lying under the waterer and wouldn't really move. I picked her up and set her down and she just kind of stumbled and laid down again. I did it again and the same thing happened. When I set the food inside, though, she eagerly got up and started eating. I thought all was well.

When I went out this morning to let the girls out, she was again lying on the floor and one of the other girls started pecking at her. I picked her up and cradled her for a minute and then tried to set her down inside, but she got out of my arms and scooted under the coop. One of the Barred Rock girls promptly started pecking at her. I grabbed her up and carried her to a stall in the barn.

I secured the doorway so she can't scoot out and gave her water, food and a watermelon rind. After doing some research the only thing I could come up with is that she needs rest and some B6 vitamins. Most people said that their chickens recovered after a couple of days/weeks/months and went on to rejoin the flock. She is able and eager to eat, so that's a good sign. I'm praying she doesn't die and now, of course, will have to name her. She needs a name while she's in quarantine. I'm thinking maybe Ginny, after a character on Harry Potter. Ginny has red hair and this girl is a Rhode Island Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment