Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Garden Start

Our gardening experience has officially begun! I started by trying to kill the grass in a 30'x30' patch of yard that had previously been used as a garden. Unfortunately, the previous owner reseeded the garden every year with grass, so it was covered pretty completely. I wet the grass down and laid clear plastic edge to edge, overlapping pieces to fit. I held them down with boards, which were then weighted down with large rocks. The wind is so bad here that I had to redo a section twice because it kept getting blown away.

This partially killed the grass and would have worked eventually, but we needed the grass to be taken care of sooner. Luckily, my neighbor has a plow and he offered to come over when we were ready and plow the entire area. We had to wait for the ground to dry up first because it keeps raining every couple of days. He finally made it over and not only plowed up the garden, but ran his disc over it too! I love my new neighbors!

It was beautiful! I made the comment that the newly turned up earth looked like dark chocolate brownies.

We had some pretty hefty roots down there. We're not sure if they are from an existing tree or one that fell down several years ago.

When he was finished we brought the dogs out and they had a ball running over the bumpy ground.

More pictures coming soon of the raised beds and the beginning of planting.

1 comment:

  1. Saw the finished garden and chicken habitat on FB. Amazing! Cannot believe how big the chickens are already.

    ReplyDelete